Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation
Martin Gruenberg is the Acting Chairman of the FDIC Board of Directors. FDIC is an independent agency which insures deposits; examines and supervises financial institutions for safety, soundness, and consumer protection; makes large and complex financial institutions resolvable; and manages receiverships. As FDIC Acting Chairman, Mr. Gruenberg is also a voting member of the Financial Stability Oversight Council.
Since mid-2018, he has served as a member of the FDIC Board. Before that time, Mr. Gruenberg also served as Chairman of the FDIC, receiving Senate confirmation on November 15, 2012, for a five-year term. Mr. Gruenberg served as Vice Chairman and Member of the FDIC Board of Directors from August 2005, until his confirmation as Chairman. He served as Acting Chairman from July 2011 to November 2012, and also from November 2005 to June 2006.
Mr. Gruenberg joined the FDIC Board after broad congressional experience in the financial services and regulatory areas. He served as Senior Counsel to Senator Paul S. Sarbanes (D-MD) on the staff of the Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs from 1993 to 2005. He also served as Staff Director of the Banking Committee's Subcommittee on International Finance and Monetary Policy from 1987 to 1992.
Mr. Gruenberg served as Chairman of the Executive Council and President of the International Association of Deposit Insurers (IADI) from November 2007 to November 2012. He has also served as Chairman of the Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council from April 2017 to June 2018.
Since June 2019, Mr. Gruenberg has served as Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Neighborhood Reinvestment Corporation (NeighborWorks America), and he has been a member of the Board since April 2018.
Mr. Gruenberg holds a J.D. from Case Western Reserve Law School and an A.B. from Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs.
- Acting Chairman, FDIC
- Chairman, Board of Directors of the Neighborhood Reinvestment Corporation (2019-Present)
- Chairman, Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (2017-2018)
- Chairman, FDIC (2012-2017)
- Vice-Chairman, FDIC (2005-2012)
- Chairman of the Executive Council and President of the International Association of Deposit Insurers (2007-2012)
- Senior Counsel for Senator Paul S. Sarbanes (D-MD), Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs (1993 to 2005)
- Staff Director, Senate Banking Committee, Subcommittee on International Finance and Monetary Policy (1987-1992)